- Based at our Geelong, Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full-time and continuing
- Level B $104,619 – $123,739 or Level C $127,561 – $146,683 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Senior Lecturer or Lecturer will be responsible for providing leadership in innovation, research, teaching and engagement in the area of Information Technology (AI) with expertise in Reinforcement and other Machine Learning Methods. The role will promote the School, promote innovation and maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Integrate industry and research practice into unit / course design in the area of Information Technology (AI)
- Lead teaching teams to develop effective unit and course curricula and learning material (including through course leadership roles)
- Maintain deep discipline knowledge which is applied to inform unit design in the area of Information Technology (AI)
- Lead unit and course teaching teams and works collaboratively with other teaching teams in the faculty
- Develop effective assessment tasks and rubrics at unit and course level
- Lead the moderation of assessments tasks at the course level and adapts practices to improve learning outcomes
- Integrate and develop new technology for teaching Information Technology (AI) to support active learning activities
- Apply leading industry and research practice into student learning experiences and resources
- Advance knowledge within their specific fields/areas of teaching scholarship and pedagogical research activity
- Support attraction of external funding for commercialization and translation activities
- Provide effective mentoring to HDR students to support professional and career development and employability
Key selection criteria for this role:
- PhD in a relevant discipline and/or advanced qualifications and experience in the relevant discipline area
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design and research supervision
- nationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in quality journals and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research grants *Level C
- positive engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the national standing of the discipline *Level C
- demonstrated capacity and passion for leadership of teaching, research and/or administration excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues. *Level C
- emerging reputation in research and scholarship through publications and/or exhibitions and/or success in obtaining external research funding *Level B
- ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research and teaching *Level B
- capacity to contribute to leadership of teaching, research and/or administration *Level B
- excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues *Level B
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD – Senior Lecturer, Information Technology (AI) Level C.pdf
PD – Lecturer, Information Technology (AI) Level B.pdf
Applications for this position close on Friday 15th September 2023
- Infrequent travel between Deakin campuses
- Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
Please submit your updated resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact IT HR on [email protected]
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.